Monday, August 9, 2010

Random Acts of Kindness

When I was in elementary school, I was the featured singer in 2 or 3 concerts at my father’s church. It was a very special thing for me. One year there was a write up about me in the A.C.C., which is a newspaper distributed to African American churches throughout the city of Los Angeles to keep everyone posted on church events. I received a post-card from a random older lady who saw the A.C.C. write-up and said she was proud of me, happy that I loved the Lord, and wished me the best in my future endeavors. It was a VERY kind and encouraging gesture. She didn’t know me and had never even heard of me before the write-up, but she wanted to let me know that she supported me. I will never forget that. I don’t know her name and I misplaced the post-card, but I will NEVER forget her random act of kindness.


I hope I am able to encourage someone in the same way. Whenever I am presented with an opportunity to say a kind word or give a token to a young person who is doing something positive, I don’t let it pass me by. It may be my random act of kindness that keeps her moving forward and feeling great about herself…even 20 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment